Monday, December 13, 2010

Chirstmas Music

By Guest Blogger: Ian Jordan Subsara
Ian plays Jinx in Plaid Tidings

Christmas is a very special time of year for me! My favorite part of the holidays is always Christmas Eve in my hometown on the outskirts of Buffalo, New York. I go to church with my family for the Christmas Eve service at 6pm; it has become a yearly tradition for me to play piano and sing a Christmas song or two at this service.

After wards, my mom’s side of the family always comes over to our house for a Christmas Eve celebration; we have dinner, exchange gifts, and spend the whole night laughing while some of my favorite Christmas music plays in the background. I love the music at Christmas time and I think that’s why I prefer Plaid Tidings to Forever Plaid. We cover SO many traditional Christmas songs in Plaid that I was surprised to find that my favorite wasn’t in it!

I would have to say my all time favorite Christmas song is “Some Children See Him” by Alfred Burt. Here is a rendition sung by James Taylor if you’ve never heard it before; the lyrics and that piano part ARE SO BEAUTIFUL (click here to have a listen!).

My two favorite songs to sing in the show are by far “The Christmas Song” and the closing number, “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”. The 4-part arrangements of these songs are truly gorgeous. Come see the show and comment on the blog – let me know which song was your favorite!!

No comments: