Monday, September 27, 2010

What's an actress to do in KC?

By Guest Blogger: Shanara Gabrielle
Shanara plays Justine in The Love List

What's an actress to do in KC?

Well, apparently LOTS! So, last Monday was my first “real” day off since arriving in Kansas City --- you know, during rehearsals and previews, Mondays are usually the day where you work on your lines and process all the notes the director has given. After a successful opening week, I was ready for a real day off. After taking the morning for “life business” and the afternoon for some “catching the last rays of summer” at the lovely Crown Center Westin Pool... it came to happy hour.

Now, not knowing KC, I turned to The Pitch as a guide for my Monday entertainment. So, I ended up at The Majestic, an old 19th century brothel-turned-steakhouse in downtown. What a treat! Not only are their drinks well priced for happy hour, the food on the happy hour menu is delicious! Salmon sliders, risotto balls, and fried green beans - all get an A+ rating from me. But the real treat is the ambiance- a gorgeous dark wood bar, a very informative owner/bartender, and perfectly-cast old-school Kansas City women drinking martinis at 4:30pm. Bram, the house piano player is an extraordinary talent with the kind of freedom, relaxation and ease that all of us artists long for – and he offers the finishing touch on this classy-hole-in-the-wall steakhouse. And by the way, while I was there I learned that this beautiful historic building began as a brothel, then became a speakeasy during the prohibition, and then during the 60's and 70's was mattress store as a facade for a prostitution ring (you know, you could try out the mattress before you took it home – kinda like Bill wants to try-out Justine before he commits). Then became a steakhouse that was apparently a Kansas City staple for many years, and finally was bought about a year ago by the current owner – as a steakhouse with a pretty traditional menu that tries to push the envelope a bit (salmon sliders, not just steak) and stays committed to the local musicians and fosters the old KC Jazz scene. So, my only critique of The Majestic: it needs a face lift, the street presence almost dissuaded me from going in …. lucky for me, it didn't!

Now, my next stop couldn't get farther from The Majestic. If The Majestic is martinis, The Brick is PBR; if The Majestic is risotto, The Brick is hot dogs; if The Majestic is classy ragtime-jazz, The Brick is roots music. Speaking of which, Monday night is Roots music night at The Brick. That means that it is kind of a make-it-up, bring your kids, fake-it-till-you-make-it sort of Jam session. As one of the participants said “it's better than the 500 channels of BS on TV”. True. Well put, sir. But really, the sweet potato fries here were great and the adorable, sorta alternative, totally chill bartender we had was perfect.

And the best thing came later in the night. Karaoke. Oh yes, this girl loves some karaoke. I know, it's trashy, it's stupid, it's often embarrassing, but come on it's FUN! (Justine, my character in THE LOVE LIST, would definitely be a Karaoke fan!) So after presenting my personal versions of “9 to 5” (this was a karaoke favorite before it was put in the show!), “Fever”, and “Let's Hear It for the Boy”, it was time to call it a night. And what a great night it was!

Thank you Kansas City for showing this first-timer a great time.

2 comments:

Skip said...

Great blog! I can't WAiT to try these! I'm practicing my karaoke as I write . . .

Gary said...

Before your next karaoke outing, please announce it in advance. The local place will enjoy the business (money)all of the KC friends will bring in and we'll enjoy hearing your unrestrained talent.